Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Snow Leopard crashes : Safari, Address ...



I write with a problem that appeared with no warning on Sunday after, I believe, the latest iTunes update. The gist is that I can no longer run Safari, Address Book, and TextEdit. Also, other OS app (such as System Preferences) crash regularly. The problem is solid and repeatable. Here is a snippet of a typical Safari crash:

Process: Safari 2881
Path: /Applications/Safari.app/Contents/MacOS/Safari
Identifier: com.apple.Safari
Version: 4.0.3 (6531.9)
Build Info: WebBrowser-65310900~1
Code Type: X86-64 (Native)
Parent Process: launchd 152

Date/Time: 2009-11-02 12:40:34.928 -0800
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.6.1 (10B504)
Report Version: 6

Interval Since Last Report: 4557 sec
Crashes Since Last Report: 296
Per-App Interval Since Last Report: 12 sec
Per-App Crashes Since Last Report: 1
Anonymous UUID: 7BF1CAC9-329C-4D83-8FE6-12182C3178A6

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000000004
Crashed Thread: 10 Safari: HistoryTextCache caching

... here is what thread 10 looks like:

Thread 10 Crashed: Safari: HistoryTextCache caching
0 libicucore.A.dylib 0x00007fff82a90fa9 icu::RuleBasedTokenizer::init() 43
1 libicucore.A.dylib 0x00007fff82a90e99 urbtok_openBinaryRulesNoCopy 77
2 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x00007fff812eddbf CFStringTokenizerCreate 399
3 com.apple.SearchKit 0x00007fff820b915e IADefaultTextAnalysisCreateTokenizerNew 2930
4 com.apple.SearchKit 0x00007fff820e563f TermIndex::DefaultInvertDocumentToUpdateSet(OpaqueIATextAnalysisRef*, IADoc*, OpaqueIATextStreamRef*, unsigned int*) 271
5 com.apple.SearchKit 0x00007fff820b815a TermIndex::AddDocInternal(IADoc*, unsigned int, OpaqueIATextStreamRef*) 276
6 com.apple.SearchKit 0x00007fff820b5c99 TIAIndex::Add(OpaqueIADocKeyRef*, OpaqueIATextStreamRef*, unsigned char) 307
7 com.apple.SearchKit 0x00007fff820b5aab IAIndexAddDocWithTextStream 144
8 com.apple.SearchKit 0x00007fff820b5919 SKIndexAddDocumentWithText 215
9 com.apple.Safari 0x0000000100048709 0x100000000 296713
10 com.apple.Safari 0x00000001000485f3 0x100000000 296435
11 com.apple.Foundation 0x00007fff86bc6f65 __NSThread__main__ 1429
12 libSystem.B.dylib 0x00007fff819c6f66 _pthread_start 331
13 libSystem.B.dylib 0x00007fff819c6e19 thread_start 13

Other apps will run, but not if I try to access one of the troubled ones : for example, if I try to use my Address Book within Mail, mail will crash.

I have tried many of the suggestions posted elsewhere: rerunning the 10.6.1 update, uninstalling and reinstalling Flash, deleting files per the suggestion of users who have found that helpful, running fix privileges many times, and so on.

I will be grateful to learn if others have experienced these problems, if they have found ways to fix them, or if the experts listening might have some ideas.

Thanks.


Orignal From: Snow Leopard crashes : Safari, Address ...

No comments:

Post a Comment